7 Peculiar Things About Me
It was like any other day in 3rd standard when my teacher asked what do I like in food. I promptly replied, “Kaddoo” (Squash). She was startled, made a face and thought I was joking. When I said I really do. She asked the whole class, “Kids, do you like to eat Kaddoo?” All of them replied in unison… “No”. Then she told them pointing at me, “She does.” And all of them broke into loud laughter. At that time I wasn’t aware of any word called peculiar or weird but I thought to be one. Years later when we grew up, I read in several books that Holy Prophet (SAW) used to like Kaddoo a lot. I am not sure, that Kaddoo tasted and looked like the same or not but I felt relaxed and happy. Today I am not including that in the list because I know I am not weird to like Kaddoo…
That however doesn’t exempt me from being weird. I call myself a born weird and it is tough to write about all the peculiar things. But it is fune and here is the list 🙂
1) When I was a kid I used to hate dolls. The more I hated them the more I would get them in gifts. Dolls never appealed me. I used to like my brother’s remote control car or plane more. Till date I hate Barbie dolls and all that. So my hatred for dolls turned me quite violent I used to break their legs and arms. My other habit was to paint beard and moustache with marker. I used to undress my dolls to see how she looks (Ahem! No perversion… it was a sheer curiosity). I would even shampoo and brush dolls synthetic hair and that would make her bald. So I used to manhandle dolls and that was because I would hate them. Otherwise I am very careful with the things I like.
2) Tea, yes, Chai is absolute “NO” for me. I never drink tea… I occasionally drink coffee. Once I thought to have a cup of coffee. When I opened the jar… it had turned rock solid 😀 Why?! Well, when you wouldn’t use it for months it is bound to expire… 😛
3) I hate flying but I love planes. I like seeing them in the sky, taking off or landing. Such documentaries are my favorite. But the fact is that I loathe flying. If given a chance I would always travel by road.
4) Now that puts me high up on the list of weird people. I don’t like Henna (mehendi)… actually I appreciate all the designs, the color even when it becomes dark and looks almost black but I can’t stand the smell. I literally begin to puke. I need odorless henna. The sweaty, henna painted palm is a big turn off for me… and when it gives away that peculiar smell. *Urgh*!!!
5) My first ever published story was in my brother’s name. The editor of the Urdu children magazine asked for contributions about any true prank. I wrote down one, the narrator was a young boy. I thought the editor might reject it for an untrue incident if I send it from my name so I put my brother’s name without telling him. I forgot about it but after a couple of months it got published and I got 150 Rs. for it 😀 That was 14 years ago… 😛
6) Do you remember the 1999 release Titanic that took the whole world by storm? Yes, the same movie… now would you believe it I have never watched Titanic from start to finish. Not even once. Why?! No idea. Though I have watched the song My heart will go on countless times. So much so that now I feel I have actually seen the movie. After 9 years I still have no desire to watch it.
7) My PC is only mine. No one else uses it. Still my user account is protected by password. I don’t feel comfortable when someone goes through my files. I wonder there is nothing special yet I don’t feel comfy. I am discreet… just way too much. At times I feel I am hiding from my own self 😛